Friday, May 21, 2010

Reading Buddies

One of the cool things about our school being an IB Middle Years Programme school is the emphasis we place on community and service. Besides encouraging outside service, we offer the students many opportunities to fulfill the requirement we set for each grade level-- 10 hours for sixth grade, 15 hours for seventh, and 20 hours for eighth.

An activity that I help out with is Reading Buddies; every month one of the counselors and I take a group of 20-30 kids to a nearby elementary school to read to second graders. It's a hectic way to spend a Friday afternoon; sometimes it seems like a rather rambunctious and ragtag assembly that loiters in the lobby waiting for their chance to serve. There are always desperate dashes to the library for books, last minute phone calls for permission, a quick snack for the readers, and then we're off on foot in whatever the weather might be.

There are many rewards as well. It's fun to chat on the way over and back; I get to meet students I don't teach and spend time with students I don't teach anymore. The second grade teachers are very appreciative, and the kids, both middle school and elementary, really love this experience, so it's fun to watch them interact. Of course there is always a student or two who will give the older kids a run for their money, and that's interesting, too, to see how they react when their authority is challenged, but even better? This is the third year we've been doing it-- all those former second graders are going to be sixth graders before we know it, and I've got my eye on a few already. (Yeah, I'm talking to you, Kiki and Eduardo.)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I'm intrigued...can't wait to read their blue cards.

    ReplyDelete