Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Eve Tales

I.

Fat snowflakes of the kind that you could imagine sticking to your nose and eyelashes drifted from the morning sky. In a blink the flurries thickened into a blinding swirl and the grass was covered, giving us the hope of a white Christmas even against the prevailing forecast. The beauty of the scene was transfixing, and then, before my coffee cup was empty and I could open the backdoor to let Lucy play in the snow, it was gone.


II.

I settled in the easy chair at the nail salon and tucked my toes under the drying light. A little girl of perhaps six sat to my left, wiggling her fingers. They were painted in alternating sparkles of red and green. "You're nails are beautiful!" I said.

She pulled her feet out and showed me that her toes matched.

I gave her a thumbs up. "Does your family celebrate Christmas?" I asked.

Her eyes widened and she nodded vigorously. "We celebrate ALL the holidays!" she told me, seriously. "We're a fun family!"

III.

Late in the day, tiny snow flakes, so small you could barely see them, began falling. It took hours for a crisp layer to dust the grass, and then the clouds literally parted, revealing the sun for the first time in days. Long rays and shadows painted the snow gold and purple as the day ended and the eve began.

No comments:

Post a Comment