Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Auld Lang Syne

With a small sigh, I turned the key in my top desk drawer, stepped out into my classroom, and gave it a critical look. 28 chairs were neatly pushed under 7 tables. The bookcase was a bit of a mess, but I preferred to think that was because kids were looking for something to read. The 20 cans my homeroom donated for the food drive were neatly stacked on the computer cart, with its full complement of laptops charging. My desk itself was clear of everything but the shiny sub plan folder we had been issued to organize all the necessary resources a substitute teacher might need. I knew that it held rosters, student pictures, seating charts, and detailed plans for the next two days, but still I paused. At last I crossed to the door, turned off the lights, and locked the room.

School year 2018 was out of my hands, and I was on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment