Thursday, February 16, 2017

Proofreading V. Editing

"Can I ask you a favor?" a colleague poked his head in the door this afternoon.

I laughed and gave my standard reply. "You can ask!"

"Will you proofread a paper I am writing for grad school?" he started. "I don't need it until next week, so you can totally take your time," he added quickly.

"Sure," I shrugged.

He sighed. "Thank goodness, because my professor suggested the writing center, but I thought, Why would I ask a bunch of 19-year-olds, when I have a much better option right across the hall?"

"Wait," I said. "Did your professor say that to you or everyone?" Because right then? I was wondering what I had just agreed to.

"I'm sure it was everyone," he waved his hand dismissively. 

"Okay," I nodded, "but why don't you give me that paper right now."

Epilogue:

His paper was fine, but I did suggest a few changes. I don't know what that professor was expecting, but that seems like another blog post altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment