Friday, February 16, 2018

What You Can Do

Today was the last day for students to work on their persuasive technique commercials in class, and I spent a lot of it dashing from "set" to "set" to supervise them as the shot their scenes. Maybe it's not surprising considering the amount of commercial media they consume, but I have to say that they are much more creative, ingenious, and funny than I am, and overall the products look pretty good.

"Will you watch our commercial and tell us what we need to fix before we turn it in?" a student asked at one point.

"No," I answered.

"I think it's good," she told me, "but I just want you to check it."

"The idea of the assignment is for you to do your best on your own, so I can see if you understand the concepts of the unit. If I tell you what to fix, it won't be your own independent work," I said. "Use the guidelines and the rubric, and I will be happy to answer questions about them or the persuasive techniques."

"I would learn what I don't know if you told me what I needed to fix," she argued. "I'm a super-fast learner."

"Then I'm sure your commercial is great!" I said.


No comments:

Post a Comment