Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Civil Disobedience

"Did you hear about the walkout?" one of my students excitedly demanded this morning before homeroom.

I actually had heard some vague rumors about an action today in support of those who had lost friends, family, or their own lives at Douglas High last week.

"Will we get in trouble if we do it?" she asked.

"Why does that matter?" I countered. "If it's a cause you believe in strongly enough to break the rules, then you should also be willing to accept the consequences."

She considered my point briefly. "Are you going to block the door or yell at us?" she continued.

"No," I answered.

"So we won't be in trouble, then?"

"I don't know," I answered, "I haven't heard how the administration will respond."

"So we're allowed to do it?" she asked.

"If you're allowed to do it, it's not exactly a walkout," I told her.

"I don't want to get in trouble," she said.

"I understand," I answered, "but a little trouble might be the price you have to pay for standing up for your beliefs. It's your decision."

I saw her again at 12:20 on her way back to class after the 17 minute protest. "I'm so glad I did that!" she called. "It was amazing! AND I don't even care if I get in trouble. It was the right thing to do!"

"Way to go!" I nodded and gave her two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment