Monday, July 13, 2015

A Tale of Two Cities and Knights

For many years my nephews and I have whiled away many a summer vacation hour playing a board game called The Settlers of Catan. Involving resources, trading, expansion, strategy and luck, the boys and I have enjoyed it since Treat and Josh were nine, and Riley and Eric were 12. Back then, those younger boys played their hearts out to beat the older guys, and sometimes I was glad that I was playing, too, so I didn't have to take sides.

This summer, it was time to initiate Richard into the tradition, and so Treat and I played a basic game with him a few days ago. Richard has a strategic mind, and although he lost, he did quite well for a newbie, and we have had had many discussions since about different game plans.

This afternoon, at Richard's request, the three of us took on the most complicated expansion version of the game. It was hard and a little stressful with the addition of Barbarians who relentlessly march on the island to pillage the cities we are trying to establish. The approach that was so successful for Richard in the first game turned out to be somewhat of a handicap to him in this one, and he became a little discouraged. Treat, on the other hand, embraced the complexity and had a great game.

Oh, I enjoyed the game, but I found myself once again torn between two boys, both so eager to do well, that I was sorry there could only be one winner, even if it turned out to be me.

(Which it didn't, by the way. Treat won the day, but Richard was downright chivalrous in defeat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment