Sunday, March 11, 2012

Generation Gap

One of my students addressed me directly in her SOL post today. I <3 young, wild & free! You should listen to it sometime Ms. S.

The problem is that I'm familiar with the song, and although I like its catchy anthemy-ness, I can't get on board with some of the lyrics. Call me old-fashioned, but So what we get drunk? So what we smoke weed? just doesn't seem appropriate for sixth graders.

As a result, I was at a loss for how to reply to my student. I wanted to be positive, but I didn't want to imply that I approve of the song. I decided to save her post for a little later and went on to read and reply to other students' writing.

As I worked, I had my own music on. Coincidentally, I was listening to a playlist of all the songs I own from the 1970s, which was when I was in sixth grade. What did I hear you ask? Oh just a few classics like, Tequila Sunrise, Elderberry Wine, and Cocaine, not to mention Let's Get it On, Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland), and The Wall.

Point taken.

(Check out some of our students' SOLSC posts here)

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, my granddaughter is singing Teenage Dream and I am not so comfortable with her and the lyrics, but I do like the song. What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this always how it goes? It's just part of life...just when we think one way, something from our past rears up and shifts our thinking just a little.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Your post made me re-think my discomfort with my daughter's musical choices. I know that she doesn't necessarily think about the lyrics - just like I didn't when I listened to many of those great songs that you listed. In fact, i'm sure that my mom hated the song Teenage Wasteland!

    ReplyDelete