Monday, August 9, 2010

Garden Pest

The woman who has the adjoining garden plot to ours has been a thorn all season long. Starting with our first conversation when upon learning that we were teachers, she disclosed that as chairperson of one of the citizen advisory groups to the school board, all five members have her on speed dial. (Should we be impressed or threatened?) She also told us that not only was she a master gardener with over 20 years of experience, but she had been the head gardener here at the community plots until she gave it up a few years ago. The look on her face communicated her low opinion of the new leadership. Never did she offer to help or advise us, and in the interactions that followed, I got the impression of her as bossy and judgmental; so much so, that I tried to find times to go to the garden when I didn't think she would be there.

That strategy has been relatively successful for most of the summer so far. She was on vacation for several weeks, and then we were, too, and I usually try to go up there on weekday mornings when I know it will be quiet. Not so tonight, though. After time away and a house full of company, our garden was looking a little neglected. We've been getting a fair amount of produce, but the weeds have been thriving as well. This evening I was pulling up some of those uninvited plants and pruning the tomatoes, when a deceptively cheerful voice called to me from the next plot. "Oh there you are! We were speculating that you had either given up or were out of town."

Let's parse that:  

We: she and other people in the garden were talking about us.
were speculating that you had either given up: implying that our garden was so uncared for that people were talking about it AND they figured we might be quitters.
or were out of town: a misleadingly friendly little end to the comment that keeps it from being blatantly offensive.

I shrugged and told her we'd been away, but oooh! I was mad, and truth be told a little humiliated. A little later the words of Eleanor Roosevelt came to me as I brooded, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent," and that made me feel a little better. I know that I am somewhat insecure about the garden, because I am inexperienced. I accept that and try to be mindful enough to learn from the successes and the failures, too; I'm going to make mistakes; it's only the first year. So far, I've been pretty happy with how things are going.

How easily my fragile confidence was undermined! As September approaches and with it another school year, I want to remember today and prevent such a thing from happening to my students as they too struggle with the new and the unfamiliar.

6 comments:

  1. What a great reflection linking to the classroom. All of our life experiences have the potential to make us be more mindful educators. I am glad that you aren't going to let her spoil your interest in gardening. Learning and experimenting is part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So smart of you to turn an irritating encounter into a moment to reflect upon the new school year, and mark a positive resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto the comments - and thanks for reminding me about E. Roosevelt's quote - a good one to keep tucked away when I'm feeling insecure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself wanting to kick her in the shins (not hard, just a little to be annoying) and smiling at the way you are able to take this and use it to become a better teacher. You rock . . . and I'm sure your garden does too!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this isn't an omen of bad times ahead for teachers...
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete