Friday, March 27, 2009

SOLSC Day 27

"But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest." ~Buddha

Sometimes, when I'm teaching away in my little corner of the school, I feel like that elephant in the deep forest. Unlike the other English teachers in my building, I'm commited to a process-based workshop approach where my students choose their own reading material and their writing topics, and I do my best to plan instruction based on their needs and interests. My class is as individualized as I can make it.

Fortunately, I do have a wise and intelligent collaborator, she just happens to be at another school in our district. We both teach sixth grade English, and we have worked pretty closely over the last three years-- not in lock step by any means, but doing many of the same things. Besides the writing workshop, we created an online community for our students where they can share their ideas and writing, and we do some joint assignments that way. Whether or not we're working on the same thing, it's great to have somebody to talk with and throw around ideas, troubleshoot problems, vent frustrations, and celebrate successes. We laugh a lot, too-- teaching seems much funnier when we work together.

Whenever the topic of professional development or professional learning communities comes up, my friend always says, "Find people you like and work with them. It's as simple as that."

She's right. I'm glad I found her.

6 comments:

  1. As long as you have at least one "Buddy" -- it's all good. Keep teaching hard, Tracey...
    ~T-Dawg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fifth grade teacher in my school who is my intelligent collaborator, and sometimes conspirator. Isn't is bad when others make good teaching feel like a conspiracy against the status quo. Well, maybe it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please stop by my blog and pick up your Splash Award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're lucky. My husband felt alone for his first 10-15 years at the Big U. I expect to feel alone as I'm an adjunct and have no community whatsoever. So can I just say I'm jealous?

    I like what you wrote about your teaching. I'm getting to know people through this writing process and I enjoy finding out more about them and what they do. I'm sad this is ending soon, I've so enjoyed it.

    I'll keep visiting your blog, though--I like your writing.

    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is that simple. All we need is one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Tracey. Even on days when I don't feel like the "intelligent collaborator", it sure helps to have someone on the other side who is thinking clearly. Our own PLC is one I feel lucky to have.

    ReplyDelete