Saturday, March 21, 2009

SOLSC Day 21

I'm at the beach with my writing group. It's sunny, but it's cold-- what you can only expect from Ocean City, MD in March. We've been meeting once a month since October 2006. There are four of us, all teachers, all women. We take turns hosting the meetings, usually on Thursday nights, and everyone contributes one share of a nice dinner-- hors-d'oeuvres, entree, wine, and dessert. After the meal, we linger at the table or sometimes move to the living room for dessert and workshopping our writing pieces. We usually stay up way too late for a school night, because there's so much to talk about: work, family, writing.

We started out with personal narratives, short memoirs or slice-of-life pieces, but, over time, we've written essays, poetry, and fiction, too. We've experimented with assigned topics, This I Believe and Being Catholic at one time or another. There were some interesting pieces, but since then we've stuck to self-selected topics. Last July we agreed to do our own NoWriMo, but nobody got past 10,000 words. We're still working on those novels, though, and other things, too.

I honestly believe that writing myself makes me a better teacher. It gives me credibility, empathy, and practical problem-solving know-how when I talk to my students about writing. I know personally how hard and messy and rewarding writing is. My writing group is a velvet deadline for me, forcing me to write, because I get to share it with them. Our exchanges have improved my conference skills; listening and responding to my students' writing comes a little easier now. I've learned a lot from their great writing, too.

I came to the beach this weekend because sometimes, three or four hours once a month just isn't quite enough time to spend with these friends. I'll take it when it's all there is, but I'm really happy to have the luxury of an extended conversation.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your post today because it touches on something I've been thinking since starting SOLSC.
    This SOLSC business is the first concerted writing I've done since leaving grad school. I was cranking out stuff then--but I had no outside job (I taught one class with about 1/4 as much grading as one of my English classes) and all my children were raised and gone and without too many problems. More problems now.

    I find my life infinitely more complicated today, and Not Writing is part of that. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get back to it--hence dipping my toe into this challenge.

    I envy you your writing group. Our group's deadlines were "velvet deadlines," (great phrase) but all of us ignored them, so the group fell apart.

    Lovely post.
    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the phrase "velvet deadline".

    ReplyDelete