Monday, March 23, 2009

SOLSC Day 23

Today at lunch another teacher mentioned that old Seinfeld routine about Night Guy, Morning Guy, and Daytime Guy. I'm sure I found it funny when I first saw it, but I'm not laughing anymore: I'm a little too busy trying to mediate the conflict between Night Tracey and Morning Tracey.

Morning Tracey drags herself out of bed each morning at 5:30, swearing that she'll call it an early night tonight. She yawns through the first part of the day promising herself that she'll leave work on time, exercise, and eat a light, healthy dinner, before retiring at a reasonable hour.

Daytime Tracey takes over around 12:45, when the sixth graders go to PE and electives, and the teachers have planning and meeting time. As the team meeting wraps up, and the clock shows a limited amount of time left in the day for planning and grading, Daytime Tracey sighs and puts off her workout until tomorrow. When school is over, Daytime Tracey usually has a meeting, or study hall, or coaching which keeps her from her desk until about 4 PM. Preferring to work at school rather than bring stuff home, Daytime Tracey stays later than she hoped.

It's still Daytime Tracey who stops at the store or runs other errands on the way home. Night Tracey doesn't usually put in an appearance until dinner is cooking. Wearing comfortable clothes and catching up on personal e-mail or friends on facebook, Night Tracey pours a glass of wine and starts to wind down. After a relaxing dinner, she watches a little TV, reads, writes, e-mails and facebooks some more, and before you know it, it's long after Morning Tracey's bedtime. Night Tracey knows it, too, but it just doesn't matter. Too bad for you, Morning Tracey.

4 comments:

  1. Terrific. But I noticed that your afternoon Tracey has WAY more energy than my afternoon Elizabeth. Not fair. If I want energy, I have to resort to a caffeine drink or something; usually I just muddle through until my night person kicks into gear.

    I loved the narrative of the day--I can relate (except for your energy level. . .)

    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to this, Tracey. It made me feel so validated that I went and poured Night T-Dawg a glass of wine.
    Cheers!
    ps. Thanks for all of your cool comments...
    http://darkstar11.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know,
    I love all the Traceys.
    I wonder how the Bonnies would be?
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have professional me and mother me... and often the two don't see eye to eye... throw in the morning, afternoon, and evening me and well... very littl really can be accomplished. I loved this!

    ReplyDelete