Sunday, March 22, 2009

SOLSC Day 22

The sun rose at exactly 7 AM this morning. I know because I stood on a windswept balcony watching it float up and out of the ocean, burning temporary white circles into my vision, so intent was I on observing the break of day. I tried to appreciate the experience in the moment, but I was also wondering how I could describe it without using any cliches. (Hmm...What color would you say the sky is over there? More of a cerulean or a wedgewood? And the sun itself? Orange-red or red-orange?) I was further distracted by the fact that I had set aside the novel, Breaking Dawn, before sliding open the glass door to greet the day.

I'm stuck on page 490 and haven't read more than 15 pages, all told, this week. We were talking about the series last night at dinner, and I realized that my desire to continue reading diminished considerably when Bella became a vampire. I guess I just find immortality boring. What's the point of living forever? Where is the dramatic tension in that and WHAT are they ever going to do with all that time on their hands? No sleeping, no waking, no reason to appreciate another day.

Obviously, there was a little too much going on in that brain of mine to enjoy a simple sunrise, and then I saw the fox...

5 comments:

  1. You've captured so much of your observation and thinking in one slice. And in a way that kept me wanting to read on. Nicely done!

    I hear you--about the pondering we do inside our head. Could that be one of the reasons we write?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fox? the fox? now you have me hanging on what you did not write.
    :)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's the plot twist my daughter's been keeping from me, insisting I read the novels.

    You saved me!

    I sometimes we are so surrounded by words and phrases and language and sound that we lose ability to create a new fresh turn in our description. It's a challenge. One of my professors used to say: Use a metaphor. They do the heavy lifting.

    I pass that on to you, ensconced in your writers group. Have a great day.

    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awake at 7??? Wow. I am more inclined to watch sunsets than sunrises.

    Enjoyed the way you began your slice...could visualize as I was reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was wonderful to read and I love the cliff hanger!! Box??? Each day is to be enjoyed to the fullest

    ReplyDelete