Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Bookbinder

In his later years, my grandfather made his living as a legal bookbinder. Based in Maryland, where my grandmother held a steady job at the Pentagon, he traveled up and down the east coast repairing the libraries of his clients. As a child, I had no conception of what he did; I was always just happy to see him on those nights when our house in New Jersey was a way station for him.

Even now, I don't really know what the job actually entailed. I picture him at a highly polished table in a room lined with dark wooden bookshelves, a stack of broken and tattered books before him. Did he use tape? A needle and thread? How about a bone folder? Were there ever volumes that were too worn too repair? How often did he return to a particular client?

I think of him every time a student brings a damaged trade book, notebook, or binder to my desk. Assessing the extent of the injury, I grab one of the many rolls of duct or packing tape I always seem to have on hand, and mend the volume as best I can.

Although the books are hardly as good as new, in general, the kids are amazed by my deft repairs, and they walk away satisfied customers, which pleases me, too.

3 comments:

  1. Book binding is such a fine craft, an art, really. I dabbled in it awhile. Love the tools. Love the image of your grandfather taking care of books so they can be enjoyed longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a class once. I learned to make hand made books, but what your grandfather did was a real art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only hope this job is still necessary in the world today. Long live books that we handle so much that the bindings come loose.

    ReplyDelete