Monday, March 19, 2012

Portmanteau

Over my years of teaching sixth grade English I've read and heard many a malapropism. Some can be blamed on the spellchecker-- once when I asked kids to write about whether it is our conscience which sets humans apart from the other animals on the planet, I got an essay that began with the memorable line, Continence, oh continence, where would we be without continence? Hmmm... Where indeed? I'm sure the makers of Depends would love to find out.

Many such mistakes are funny, but some are downright inspired. Take for example this recent bit of writing: Bees, the most horocious insect in the world!

Now, "horocious" should totally be a word. Not only does it combine horrible and ferocious, but it also  sounds a little like Hiroshima.

The sheer calamity of the term is positively palpable! Who's with me?

3 comments:

  1. I just love malapropisms from kids. SOMEONE should makea book of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will support your petition for horocious. Great word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, love the new word...bring it on Webster!

    ReplyDelete