Saturday, March 10, 2012

On the Loose

I went shopping with a friend from work yesterday. We needed to pick up some snacks for a few upcoming club meetings and other school activities so we headed to the big warehouse store not far from our school. At 1:30 on a Friday afternoon, the place was packed. "Who are all these people?" I wondered aloud as we entered the parking lot.

"It's lunch time," my friend reminded me.

Such a detail is easy to overlook when you have eaten lunch at 10:35 for the last 20 years. My job usually keeps me in my classroom or at my desk, and so it can be disorienting when I leave our massive bunker-like building in the middle of the day, much like being in a different setting with someone you have known primarily at work.

I was trolling the parking lot for a space, any space, when to our right we saw someone leaning over to load his car. As I slowed to see how much more stuff he had and whether it was worth waiting for his spot, my friend shouted out, "Hey! I can see your back AND your crack!" and although her remark was accurate, I was appalled. She laughed uproariously as I zoomed away.

"Hmmm. Maybe not such a good idea." I said.

"I know, right? He totally shouldn't have worn that!" she laughed.

"Oh no," I told her, "I meant you and me shopping together!"

2 comments:

  1. Bahhhhhh! That's hilarious. I bet next time you'll just drop her off at the door. :-) I can just imagine her laughing when you zoomed away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you just made me laugh out loud at work (hard to pretend I'm working when I'm cracking up!). This is too funny. I can't believe she shouted that. I would have been mortified!

    ReplyDelete