Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Can't Do it Alone

As the clock ticked toward the appointed hour for our meeting this afternoon, no one arrived. Allowing my facilitator's anxiety to take over for a moment, I entertained the notion that no one would come, not an uncommon  fantasy of mine. I relish those quiet times before and after the students are here. What kind of teacher never wants the people she's teaching to show up? I wondered. Oh, once they arrive I'm fine, better than fine, really. I love my job, but it requires a lot of interaction with a lot of people, and by nature, I am an introvert. Hence the daydream of spending my time all alone in an empty classroom-- books arranged in proper rows, chairs pushed neatly in, no one talking, or writing, or reading.

But honestly, what fun would that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment