Thursday, May 1, 2014

DIY: Dream it Yourself

Once when we were very young our dryer was not working. Money was tight, and my mom did not want to call a repairman. In those days, long before a quick google search would help you troubleshoot your appliances, she tried to figure out the problem on her own, but without success. That night, Mom went to bed with that broken dryer on her mind. The next morning, she awoke with the answer; she had dreamed that a fuse was blown. It cost her less than a dollar to discover that she was right.

Like my mother, I prefer to fix what I can myself, so Saturday I picked up a replacement cable box for the upstairs TV. What was supposed to be an easy plug and play installation somehow went wrong, and a blank screen was all I could conjure. Reluctantly, I called the help line and was directed to wait 40 minutes and see if it would start then.

Having MANY other things to do (and a few other TVs as well) I let it go until I could find the time to focus on resolving the issue, but last night I dreamed about the cable box. In the dream, I hadn't connected the cable to it, so it couldn't download the data it needed. I woke up with the hazy idea that I could fix it just like that.

In the shower, though, my mind cleared, and I knew that I had attached the cable. Mentally, I put the problem back on the to-do list. My thoughts kept wandering back to the issue all day, and so when I got home I went upstairs to look at it again. It turns out that I connected the wrong cable to the box, and in less than 10 minutes? It was up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment