Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Girl on Fire

"You can't have that!" an alarmed neighbor shouted at me this evening as I opened my front door. "There are embers flying everywhere!"

She was right of course. Not that my grill is actually a hazard, but it is technically against the rules of our homeowners' association. She was seeing my charcoal chimney at the point when it was ready to be emptied.

I looked at her dully. "Okay," I shrugged.

"I almost called the fire department!" she scolded me.

I nodded. That would be exciting, I thought.

Her dog was practically tugging her arm off. "Will you put that out?" she asked as her dog literally pulled her away.

"Yes," I called after her.

"When I'm done cooking," I added more quietly.

1 comment: