Sunday, May 18, 2014

Exceptional

As a rule? I don't really like graduations. I've personally walked twice, in high school and then in college, but I've skipped the last two. Maybe it's my own feelings about change and transition or even my own feelings about pomp and ceremony, but either way, I don't like 'em.

BUT, when my nephew or niece should call, nothing seems out of the question, and so when the first member of our next generation graduated (Phi Beta Kappa, with highest honors) from UVa, I was right there.

And, oh what a spectacle it was! Over 4,000 grads and perhaps 10,000 spectators gathered on an emerald lawn under a deep blue sky this morning. Sunny, 70 degrees, and no shortage of balloons, this ceremony was marked by the obvious affection that the elders in attendance-- president, professors, parents, and other supporters-- had for these graduates.

On such a day, it was impossible to find fault in anything, and so I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment