Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Throwback

I had after-school study hall in my room today. The hour after school is definitely the most convenient time to offer this support to our students, but it is not necessarily the best time. After a full day of learning, one more hour of quiet can be challenging for some. In an effort to make it as productive as possible, we give everyone a snack, offer a frequent attendance bonus program, and allow as much movement and collaboration as possible without letting such activity to become a distraction.

Because we teachers take turns supervising "Homework Club" for all the kids on the team, there are always some kids I don't teach in the group. That is not usually a problem-- I like to say I've been in sixth grade long enough to be able to help almost anyone with any assignment. Even so, today I ran into something I wasn't prepared for.

One of the kids asked me for a couple of sheets of loose leaf paper. I handed it over without questioning him, but he was eager to tell me why he needed it. "I have to write I will not chew gum in class 200 times!" he reported.

I'm sure my surprise registered on my face, because even though I've been around for a while,  I thought using writing as punishment went out way before I came in.

4 comments:

  1. Too funny! All I can think of is Bart Simpson writing on the board at the beginning of each episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you have been around awhile, but still, that was out way before you. Maybe someone should resend the memo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I had to write sentences (1969), the sentence (pun intended) was rescinded when my mother found out that (1) I had not been in classroom when the punishment was handed to the entire class for their excessive talking, and (2) several students who had been in class at the time were excused, because "I know YOU wouldn't talk in class!"

    Luckily, the teacher I had the next year helped me overcome my extreme dislike of school I developed that year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? I'm shocked and disappointed.

    ReplyDelete