Saturday, March 17, 2012

Diction

I was reading an article today where the documentary film maker Errol Morris describes a private eye trick he learned along the way.

“It went like this,” Morris explained. “He’d knock on a door, sometimes of someone not even connected to the case they were investigating. He’d flip open his wallet, show his badge and say, ‘I guess we don’t have to tell you why we’re here.’
 
“And more often than not the guy starts bawling like an infant, ‘How did you find out?’” And then disgorges some shameful criminal secret no one would ever have known about otherwise.

I laughed a little and wondered if we are all really so wracked with guilt. Then my thoughts turned to my sixth grade students. On the occasions that I must ask them to step away from the class to discuss their inappropriate behavior I typically begin the conversation with "Why did I ask you to come talk to me?"

And the usual parry is, "I don't know."

To which I reply, "That's too bad. Why don't you stay here and give it some thought. I'll be back when I can."

Oh we get there, we do, but sometimes it takes a while, so as I read today, I found myself speculating about ways to improve my approach. Was it the element of surprise that got those guys to confess so quickly? Was it the burden of carrying such a guilty secret for so long? If so, I was out of luck.

Still, as an English teacher, I have faith in the power of sentence structure, word choice, and phrasing, and that is why I intend to begin my next conversation with an errant student like so:

I guess I don't have to tell you why I asked to speak with you...

I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Laugh!

    At my grade level, I can just give the whole room the "evil eye" and someone will look guilty. It's a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I have been known to approach a child and just say, "I know you have something you probably want to talk over with me. Let me know when you're ready." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a perfect opening, but it must be accompanied by a steely stare from you. The guilty will squirm. :-]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the private investigator story and how it linked you to your thinking. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete