Friday, March 6, 2009

SOLSC Day 6

I like my days to have 24 hours-- is that so wrong? For a long time, I believed that most people felt that way, too, and that daylight savings time was just a necessary evil imposed on us by bureaucrats hoping to squeeze a few extra pennies out of the nation's energy account. Once I said so to a group of teachers.

"Who, in their right mind, wants a shorter weekend with the result of having to get up an hour earlier on Monday? The mornings are just getting light by the time my alarm rings at 5:30, and now I'll be forced to go back to rising in total darkness," I grumbled, looking around for the nods of agreement I was sure were coming.

Oh, my gosh, the uproar! You'd have thought I was in favor of calling off spring itself. "What! You don't like daylight savings time? But it stays light so much longer in the afternoon."

"Oh, it does not," I argued. "That's all in your head! Listen, if you want some extra daylight, get up an hour earlier and do a little work in the dark, but leave me out of it." Of course I couldn't win. They called me "wacky" and changed the subject.

I know it's only an hour. I know I'll forget all about my lost hour in a few weeks when the sun rises earlier and my sleep patterns adjust. But my hour will be out there waiting, just waiting, for some far-off weekend in November when DST will go down in a glorious 25 hour day.

5 comments:

  1. I'm a bit grumpy about my 23-hour-day myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Tracey,
    While I understand your point of view, I love more light in the afternoon. 5:00 in the light of day, thank GOD I don't life in Norway,
    BOnnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The medical world is on your side as well...the risk for heart attacks raises the day after the clocks go forward. My advice? Ease into it, I set my car clock ahead tonight. Another option? Take Monday off and sleep in. It's good for your health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on this! I think I will take Mary's advice and take Monday off!! That sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This week I noticed that it was finally getting light when I started on the road to work. I liked seeing the swamp at dawn. Today I saw deer and yesterday there was a fox running in front of me. Unfortunately on Monday I'll be trying hard to stay on the dark road.

    ReplyDelete