Sunday, October 6, 2019

Let's Talk about You

It was time to get my haircut, and so I walked up to the local place I usually go and took the first available appointment since I don't have a regular stylist. It usually works out for me; I want a pretty simple cut and my hair is generally forgiving. Even if I'm disappointed to begin with, the next day when I do it myself, it looks fine.

Plus, patronizing an economy establishment gives me the freedom to tip well, which I like to do particularly in an industry with primarily minority women workers. What I don't always like is the small talk. Depending on the personality of your stylist, you might sit in 20 minutes of companionable silence, or you may have to spend that time trying to make polite conversation because it seems expected.

Today started out as one of the latter experiences.

"Do you have any children?" the woman asked as she toweled my hair.

"No," I answered, "but I'm a teacher, so I'm around kids all day." I've learned that this response is a good one for politely continuing the conversation.

And then, after she asked me about where, what, and who I teach, I delivered the coup de grace.

"What about you? Do you have any children?"

And it was on! I didn't have to say another word.

No comments:

Post a Comment