Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Thoughts on a Short Day

We had early release today, which meant 24 minute classes, lunch at 10 AM, and clearing the halls of kids by 11:54. Amazingly, the day went quite well, the kids were attentive and focused, and I found that I got a lot of instruction into a little bit of time.

Maybe it has to do with screen time and the fast pace of children's entertainment, but whatever the cause, kids today definitely seem to have much shorter attention spans than ever before, so who knows? They may actually thrive on a condensed day.

"I wish every day was like this!" one of my students said as he packed up his things and rushed to his next class. "I would learn a lot more-- there's no time for me to get bored!"

The trend in education is longer class periods with fewer transitions, but maybe we're thinking about it backwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment