Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Just as I Intended

As I learned in my mindfulness class yesterday, I approached the day with intention. I am open to new solutions and opportunities, I told myself as I walked the dog this morning.

The day kind of went to hell from there-- the dog wouldn't poop, we were late for school, the students were crazy after three days away. By the end of my last class, my intention was totally gone from my mind, erased by the five ring circus I had just survived. Not only that, but the worst kid was worse than ever, and I asked him to stay and talk with his team of teachers.

"This better be quick," he said, "I don't want to be late."

Fortunately, the conversation improved from there, until at last he told us that his teachers last year used to give him 2 minutes at the beginning of class to walk around with a friend and "get out the sillies."

I was skeptical. "What exactly did you do to get out the sillies?" I asked.

"We just waked and talked," he answered.

I found that I was willing to give it a try, so we put some rules in place, along with some clear expectations for his behavior once those sillies are gone, and he's going to try it tomorrow. In addition? I felt much better.

I'd say those were pretty good results for my first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment