Thursday, January 4, 2018

Snow, Sun, and Moon

When we woke to the unlikely news of a snow day this morning, I knew just what to do (after going back to sleep for a couple of hours).

The first to rise at 7:30, I completed the morning chores and then looked up a recipe for Sally Lunn, a yeast bread enriched with eggs and butter that my mom used to make for us on snow days. In no time at all, the sticky dough was turned into the big aqua Corningware bowl (aka the popcorn bowl) and rising on the back of the stove.

As I waited, I read the bottom of the recipe that addressed its origin. Sally Lunn is either English or French, it said, which was news to me, because I recall visiting the tavern in Bath which claims to be the first place the bread was baked. There it is said that Sally Lunn was a Huguenot fleeing the intolerant Catholic French regime who landed in Bath and made her living baking and selling bread on the street.

This particular recipe had another theory, though. It seems that "Sally Lunn" may not be a person at all, but rather an Anglicized version of "soleil et lune" or sun and moon, which refers to the shape and golden color of the bread.

Either way? It's a good story, and an excellent slice of bread, particularly with butter and hot tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment