Saturday, August 29, 2015

No Second Chances

When we were in Alaska, our travels took us within ten miles or so of Christopher McCandless's "magic bus" made famous by the book Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. Being so close to where McCandless died provided a whole new frame of reference on the story of young man who cut ties with his family and lived a vagabond life in the western U.S. before heading into the Alaskan wilderness on his own in April 1992. 

When we returned home, I read Krakauer's book, and I also looked at many of Chris's photographs, letters, and journal entries that the McCandless family published in the 2010 book, Back to the Wild. This morning, we watched a documentary about McCandless and his family, and tonight we watched Sean Penn's 2008 film based on the Krakauer book. 

 A little wilded out by the end of the movie, I was reminded of an old joke. Two guys are at the movies when one leans over to the other and whispers,"I'll bet you five bucks the cowboys get ambushed when they leave camp." 

"You're on!" His friend replies. Not two minutes later, the cowboys are attacked, just as the first guy predicted. When the movie is over, the second guy hands his friend a five dollar bill. 

"I have a confession," the first guy says. "I saw the movie before. I knew they were going to be ambushed." 

"So did I," says his friend. "I just didn't think they would fall for it twice!" 

 That's how I felt about Chris McCandless every time I was confronted with his demise-- not that he was arrogant or stupid, I just wanted him to have the chance to learn from his mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment