Thursday, May 5, 2011

Y is for Yeah, I've Got That

"The table is squeaking!" three girls in my first period class complained this morning.

"Keep writing," I told them, "I'll fix it when the timer goes off." To be honest, after seventeen years in my classroom with these ancient tables, I rarely notice the annoying ee-ee ee-ee ee-ee anymore. Soon, the beep beep beep beep of the timer broke the quiet. Everyone shared the title of the Alphabiography chapter they were working on, and then I told them it was time to go back to writing. I brandished the timer. "Ready?"

"Um? The table?" one of the girls reminded me.

See? I don't even hear it, but I opened a metal cabinet and got out my can of WD40 and affixed the red plastic straw. I gave the metal plates where the legs are screwed into the wooden table top a couple of quick squirts, and the irritating squeak was gone. "And now back to your writing!"

The time that I've been in my classroom is longer than I've lived in any house, and to say that I'm settled in would be an understatement. Over the years, I've collected almost anything I might need in most imaginable situations, this in addition to the usual trove of school supplies. The WD40 is a good example, but last year when I had to pack up everything and move out of my room for two months because they were renovating the building, I had the chance to inventory what I have:

spare socks
a screw driver
an electric tea kettle
lotion
hand sanitizer
several rolls of duct tape
static guard
a lint roller
thank you notes
plastic knives, forks, and spoons
band aids
air freshener
a can opener
batteries
nail clippers
a flashlight
antacids
aspirin
a new toothbrush
toothpaste
dental floss
eye glass repair kit
glasses cleaners
latex gloves
needle and thread
saline solution
spare contact case
paper cups
napkins
paper plates
plastic table cloth
cough drops
tic tacs
tissues
pencil lead (three sizes)
a large supply of chocolate
a bag of dum dum pops
pliers
allen wrench set
dream catcher
corn husk doll
gavel
and a magnetic felt figure of myself

This is only a partial list, and my co-workers know it. They all come to me sometime and ask the same question: "Tracey do you have...?"

Life Lesson: There's no such thing as being too prepared.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you mentioned needle and thread twice but I get it; you could probably live in that room for six months or so. It's always great to have things on hand when you really need them......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed it! Thanks for the editing, Franny!

    ReplyDelete