Thursday, October 14, 2010

Back and Forth

It's funny how the unrelated conversations of the day can often be thematic. For example, at our team meeting today the discussion turned to security and background checks for field trip chaperons. "Things sure are different than when I started," I said. "Nobody did much checking on me... they don't even have my fingerprints on file."

We all agreed that times have changed since 1993 when I began teaching. Later in the day I ran into two seventh graders from my home room last year.

"Hey old TA teacher!" one greeted me.

"Hey old TA student," I replied in turn.

"Are you going to have my brother, too?" he asked. "He's coming next year."

"Maybe," I shrugged. "I hope so."

"He's exactly like me except he does his homework," he told me.

"He sounds perfect!" I said. "Now, I'm going to make sure I get him."

"What about my sister?" asked the other student. "She was born on Sunday."

"Last Sunday?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Congratulations!" I told him. "Why not? In eleven years, I'll take her, too."

"Eleven years?!?" the first student exclaimed. "Aren't you ever going to retire?"

No comments:

Post a Comment