Sunday, August 8, 2010

Over Your Shoulder

 My brother and sister-in-law and nephew came over for dinner tonight, and as always, our conversation was far-ranging and extremely entertaining. At one point during the evening we spent some time recollecting an old Cream of Wheat commercial. Remember the one where the bowl hovered UFO-like behind the kids all day steaming in the brisk winter air as they romped merrily through the snow? What an indelible image that created-- creepy and sustaining all at once.

The kids in the commercial never looked back at the ghostly bowl floating along in their wake. If they had, would they have been alarmed or comforted? I wonder. Forty years ago, I remember wishing for such a glutinous guardian, but now the specter of my meals haunting my days is a little too corporeal. If anything, there's probably a wee phantom antacid tablet shadowing me, and may its effects be as lingering as the spirit of Cream of Wheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment