Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Inspiring Writers One Cup at a Time

I didn't exactly have a plan when the 10 students in my new intervention period walked in at 8 AM this morning. Sure, I knew I wanted them to write-- they are the kids that my evaluation goal is based on this year-- and I thought that encouraging them at this stage in the writing challenge might jump start them to do all 100 days, but beyond that? Let's say I was planning to rely on my motivational teacher personality.

But when they were in front of me, still a little sleepy from the early hour (even though it is our regular time), I sensed that I was going to need a little more than time and encouragement to light a fire under these guys. "Welcome to..." I started, and paused. "Welcome to... the writing cafe!" I said, and turned the lights a little lower.  "My goal for you is that each one of you will write 100 days before the year over."

I saw a few skeptical looks so I continued quickly. "Here you will have space and time to write." I clicked on my Bluetooth speaker and pushed play on a light jazz list and scanned the group. "And refreshments! What's a cafe without food and drinks? How about some hot chocolate?"

Heads nodded; iPads were unlocked, and fingers tapped the screens.

"I love it here all ready," one girl whispered as the writing began.

No comments:

Post a Comment