Tuesday, January 14, 2020

We Are Not Getting Any Younger

The waiting area was comfortable and I had plenty to do, and yet I was feeling a little teary. Heidi was in out-patient surgery for a relatively straight-forward procedure, and I knew everything would be fine, but still.

"Is it awful being at the hospital again?" my sister texted.

"Kind of," I replied, realizing that the hours I had spent in hospitals over the last year had taken a toll on me. I had never once considered asking someone to come with me to wait, but I knew then that I should have.

In may ways I am stoic, like my mother. She understood that there are certain things you have to do and do alone, and I know that, too. In those situations, I lift my chin and walk, steady on, toward the unavoidable, like she did.

But those occasions are relatively rare; what I don't often do is ask for company when it would be welcome. Today, I learned that I should do that.

And the other side of that coin? Is to remember to offer my company to others in a similar position.

No comments:

Post a Comment