Thursday, January 23, 2020

That Same Old Place

A colleague is retiring next week after exactly 30 years of teaching in the district. Such mid-year departures have been more common over the last few years; in fact I've been to three such retirement  celebrations since last February.

Each one has been a delight, though. The end of the school year is hectic, and a retirement party often gets lost in all the good-byes: to kids, to colleagues moving on, to everyone for a couple months of well deserved R&R. And so these Thursday or Friday afternoon events have been lovely gatherings. Without as many competing activities, lots of staff members are able to put in an appearance, and in a sweet tribute to the service of those who are departing, lots of already-retired colleagues attend as well.

That was the case today when ten former teachers and another dozen who are working elsewhere in the system (including the acting superintendent) joined 50 or so of the current staff to wish our retiring co-worker well.

Having taught in this school since 1993, they were all familiar faces to me, and I was soundly hugged quite a few times. I leaned right into the joy of each, even though I am not a hugger, and I was glad I did.

"I'm seeing so many people I haven't seen in so long, I forgot I missed 'em!" I remarked to the guy next to me, who left our school 15 years ago for a job at the Ed Center. "Welcome back!"

No comments:

Post a Comment