Thursday, January 9, 2020

Opening the Basket

One of my not-so-binding New Year's resolutions is to use the food in my pantry and freezer before I go out and buy more food to sit in indefinite storage, or at least by the end of 2020. In addition to the staples, we have a lot of weird stuff, some of which has been given to us, some of which I bought for a one-time recipe or forgotten reason, and some of which I have no idea of its provenance. As such, committing fully to the concept would mean that every day would be like an episode of Chopped.

Still, so far, it's been going okay, and tonight I'm using some artichokes and an eggplant and tomato thing along with shrimp, salad greens and pasta to create a version of our go-to meal of the fall: a hot and cold pasta salad with butter, lemon, and a protein. I have no doubt it will be edible, although probably not super delicious. I guess it could be worse, though. I set aside the bonito flakes, rose petal jam and chickpea flour for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment