Friday, January 17, 2020

Missing in Action

Back to work today after three days on caretaker duty, the effects of so much time out of school are beginning to show. “We thought you were dead this time,” a student said with not a trace of humor and despite the fact that I explained my absence before leaving on Monday.

And I don’t think it was my imagination that the students seemed a little needy around the assistant and co-teachers. “Thanks for the help,” one guy told me. “To be honest? I only asked you because Ms. G. was so busy, but you did a good job.”

And then there was one of the most oppositional kids of the year, the guy who refuses any assistance offered, deflecting with ridiculous antics. “Where’s G?” he asked about the other teacher, calling him by last name only.

“He’s in a meeting,” I told him right as the bell rang.

“Too bad!” he scoffed. “Maybe if he was here I could have gotten some real help.”

No comments:

Post a Comment