Friday, January 3, 2020

A Measure of Success

The dealership where I have the car serviced is newly remodeled, and I helped myself to some popcorn and a cup of Earl Grey tea and settled into a comfy leather chair to wait. A tableful of magazines was spread out in front of me, and I plucked the one devoted to the best of all our hometown has to offer. Flipping through the pages to get to the list of best restaurants, my eye caught an article about growing up biracial in our fair city. I started to read before looking at the byline, but when I did turn to see who had written such a thoughtful and moving essay, I saw the name of a former student.

How proud I was of her! And how gratified as well in the small part I knew for sure I had played in her accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment