Friday, October 11, 2019

Wait Until Tomorrow

I was upset that my mom was in the hospital, but as I flew west I was kind of looking forward to revisiting Rochester, MN after spending a month here this summer. And on my first day here, the city did not disappoint. In 70 degree temperatures and under classic blue October skies I revisited the lake and other parks we enjoyed in August, now turned from summer green to orange and yellow and red and golden brown. Day two was equally stunning.

But every time I praised the town and the weather to a native, I got the same answer: "Sure, it's nice today... but, wait until tomorrow (or the weekend, or next week)!" I remembered a similar attitude among the folks I met here this summer: whenever I gave Rochester a compliment, they frowned and raised their eyebrows.

Today? Was not a glorious day. We woke in gray light to the quiet tapping of sleet on the window. The temperature was in the 30s and a frigid wind blew everywhere, and gusted bitterly in the canyons between the tall buildings of the Mayo Clinic. Low clouds threatened in a leaden sky, and we did not see even a peek of sunlight all day. On the way to the airport to drop my sister, fat flakes of snow squalled dryly against the windshield.

Did I finally see what they meant? No! I just put on my turtleneck and sweater, zipped up my vest and went about my business. Oh, and I bought a pair of toasty slippers at the HyVee.

Maybe I'll hate it here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment