Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Cold and Hard

I thought I was thinking ahead when I ground some of my favorite coffee beans and packed them up with some cone filters for my trip to Minnesota. The plan was supposed to include grabbing one of the small plastic cones I have stashed in my cabinet at school, but in the discombobulation of printing and copying a week's worth of sub plans at 6:45 AM on Monday, I forgot to get it.

No worries, though. After my sister picked me up at the airport, we had to make a stop at my Mom's empty apartment in the Twin Cities before heading down to Rochester. There, I borrowed her coffee cone, and so it was with confidence that I went into the very compact kitchen of our tiny Airbnb yesterday morning to make my customary iced coffee.

And, indeed, all went well until I opened the freezer and found no ice. Oh, I improvised with cold filtered water, but the lukewarm beverage was pretty unsatisfying. On my way back to get a refill, I happened to pick up my Hydroflask, which rattled like a maraca. It still has ice! I realized, and my second cup of the morning was saved.

The water bottle reminded me of how the night before hiking in Maine we used to fill our plastic bottles a third of the way with water and stick them in the freezer. That solid block of ice was enough to keep the water we added the next morning cold all day.

With my next morning in mind, I opened all the cupboards and found three square leftover containers that I filled with an inch of water each and then placed them in the freezer. And this morning? I popped the ice blocks out, put one in a zip lock, wrapped it in a dish towel, and rapped it smartly with a heavy church key can opener. The resulting chards of shattered ice were perfect for icing my coffee.

So there!

No comments:

Post a Comment