Thursday, July 4, 2019

The End of an Era

"I'm not ready," Josh told us at his farewell dinner last night. He wasn't talking about his move to California on Saturday, though, he was reacting to the news that after 15 years we were going to trade the Jeep Wrangler in for something newer and more reliable.

As over the Jeep as I am, I knew what he meant. I could still picture the 9 year-old him sound asleep in the backseat even though the top was down, swaying against the seat belt, head bouncing with the bumps in the road, and the wind whipping his fine curls into a tempest. I could still hear the radio blaring as Heidi banged out of our complex on her way to swimming lessons and lifeguarding. And in another blink, there was Annabelle and Heidi repainting the faded magnetic flowers with nail polish.

At the dealership today we were a little nervous presenting it for its trade-in. "We sure have loved it!" Heidi told the salesman.

"I'll get our trade finance guy to take a look at it," he shrugged. "I think he drives a Jeep."

And when the guy came in to talk numbers he had a big smile on his face."I want that Jeep!" he said. "I still have my '98 TJ," he continued, "and my 2011 and my 2016. Let me see what I can put together for you."

In the end? They offered us a fair deal, and we drove off the lot with a shiny new Honda HR-V, but it was definitely bittersweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment