Monday, June 24, 2019

Still on Duty

On the first real day of summer vacation, I was lounging in the swivel chair in my mom's living room, TV murmuring in the background, making plans for the day (doing a Target run, grocery shopping, poke for lunch, maybe some board games in the afternoon, gumbo for dinner), texting my sister in Paris, and chatting about this and that.

All of a sudden, I heard Alex Trebek read an answer that was relevant to our conversation. "Listen for it!" I told my mom. "Poke!" I announced at the same time as the contestant. "It's what's for lunch!" I grinned.

"Wow!" my mother answered. "Your brain certainly is busy!"

"I can't help it, Ma!" I told her. "After 26 years of teaching, I need to at least have an idea of what they're talking about anywhere in the room." I paused: there were no new texts on my phone, and on TV a commercial blared I Need a Hero. "It's my superpower!"

Maybe *Vacation* will sink in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment