Thursday, March 14, 2019

The Plot Thickens

All stories have a plot! The teacher intern reminded our students today. All plots have an exposition, rising action, turning point, falling action, and resolution, she continued.

I looked to my left at one of our more challenging sixth graders. He was neither taking notes nor paying attention. Instead, he was conspicuously buried in a graphic novel. I walked over. "Did you hear that?" I whispered. "All stories have those things!" I gestured to the screen dramatically.

"Not this one," he shrugged, waving his book at me. "It's part of a series, so it never ends. There is no climax or turning point."

I liked that he was thinking about our claim critically, and I told him so. "But you know," I confided, "each book in a series is usually a stand-alone story, too, so I bet this one," I pointed to the volume he was clutching, "does, too."

"I doubt it," he said.

"Why don't you let me look while you are finishing your notes," I suggested, and maybe it was the neon green loose leaf I had given him before, or perhaps it was the cool pen I lent him, or maybe he just wanted to say, I told you so! when I failed, but he surprised me and handed the book over.

I skimmed the beginning and then paged backward from the end until I found the part where they say, He saved us! But now, he's gone. I pulled a post-it note from the pad, wrote my student a little note, and stuck it on the page before that. Then I went over to return the book.

"I told you!" he said triumphantly.

"Oh, no," I replied. "I found it. You'll see when you get there." I handed him his book.

I thought he might flip right to the note and pull it out dismissively, but he surprised me again. "You read all of that?" he asked in astonishment. "Does it at least count for your daily reading?"

4 comments:

  1. This story is so amazing. I love when we can use wit and humor not only to interact with own students, but to also push them toward academic goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you left him a note to find later in his reading. Much more mature than staging an "I told you so" moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Leah- I love the note for later. I was wondering if I would have the ability to leave that note and not show him. I love that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of this post was where you listed all the possible reasons he may have decided to comply with your request for the book. The little work of building collateral with our tricky kids pays off! I am also impressed that you were able to compound the learning here- removing his distraction so he'd pay attention to his notes, encouraging him to question what he's being told, and motivating him to continue to read the book, analyzing it for the content being taught. #expertteachermoves

    ReplyDelete