Sunday, March 10, 2019

Happens Every Year

There are certain benefits to participating in a writing challenge the same month each year. One of the least obvious, perhaps, is that certain topics are relevant every time. For example, in March there's usually snow and/or signs of spring, and there's always a reflection about a whole month of writing at the end. Since one of the toughest things about daily writing can be finding a good topic, having these baked in ideas is little like a free space in Bingo.

I've noticed it in my students' writing, too. For them, March always means student-led conferences and district assessments for band and orchestra, and, trust me! I read a lot of slices about both of those.

Of course, March also triggers the granddaddy of all rants for many of my students and their teacher, too. For it is in March that we early-risers are needlessly robbed of an hour of sleep and morning sun when DST is imposed on us!

Oh! The injustice of it inspires hundreds of words all raised in a one united complaint, and the only itty-bitty consolation is knowing that not only will our voices be heard and read throughout the blogosphere, but that our writing is done for yet another day.

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about this, too, this year! It's so funny how each year there are almost "inevitable" slices...the first birds, DLT (today for me), weather, reflections, SBs...it reminds me how cyclical life can be and how quickly each year goes! Wow! (I'm almost ready for my "What? Halfway through already?!" post...;) Just kidding...kind of!

    ReplyDelete