Saturday, October 13, 2018

Unicorn Tears

On a Target run for essentials, we found that we could not resist the Halloween displays. So much candy! So many home and yard decorations! So many costumes!

They even had a couple of giant heads like those that mascots and theme park characters wear, one of a cow, and one of a unicorn. True confession: I've always wanted to wear one of those; in fact, I harbor secret hopes of one day being our school yellow jacket mascot at a basketball game.

In that spirit, I immediately put on the unicorn head. "Heidi! Take my picture!" I commanded.

"What? I can't hear you in there!" she answered.

"MY PICTURE!" I repeated, and she willingly obliged.

Behind me, a mom rolled her toddler our way. "Turn around!" Heidi urged me.

I did, and the poor child immediately burst into tears. His mother, Heidi, and I laughed in surprise.

"I'll take it off!" I said, and as I did, his eyes grew even wider, and he screamed in terror. His wailing grew fainter as his mom pushed him quickly around the corner and away to another section of the store. I put the unicorn head back on the shelf.

A little while later, we ran into them again in the cleaning supplies. My own eyes widened a bit, and I laughed nervously. "Oh! He's fine now!" his mom assured us, but he gave me the stink eye as they rolled past.

No comments:

Post a Comment