Friday, October 5, 2018

Positive Feedback

It was the puppy that made us stop.

On the way out of school yesterday afternoon I passed a young woman wrangling an adorable white and black puppy spinning in circles at the end of the leash. She made exasperated eye contact as the puppy pulled her toward us.

As I leaned over to pat the unruly pup, the owner gasped.

I looked up in alarm.

"How are you?" she asked.

It was then I looked more closely at her. "Shireen, right?" I said.

"Oh my God! I can't believe you remember me! You have so many students. " she answered, tears literally shining in her eyes, and stepping forward to give me a hug.

After 14 years, I was glad I recognized her, but I also remembered her well. She was a good kid, serious and hard-working. We spent a few minutes catching up. Besides a new puppy, she is applying to law school and waiting on her clearance for a Justice Department job, and she is happy.

I congratulated her and continued on my way, pleased that I had played a small part in her success.

No comments:

Post a Comment