Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Required Course

One of my students left his iPad behind today after 6th period. I knew he was in Heidi's Social Skills class next, so I walked down there to return it. The class had already started, so I knocked on the door and waited politely until Mr. T, the assistant opened it. When my student saw me, his eyes grew wide and he gasped; my presence was unexpected. I made eye contact and held up the iPad, and he knew that it was his. Rising from his seat he came over to the door. "Give it to me!" he said as he reached for the device.

"Oh no!" Heidi said, "Give it to me!" and I did.

He scoffed and stomped back to his seat.

"Is that how you should treat a teacher who brings you something?" Heidi asked him.

"Fine!" he said and looked at me. "Please?"

"I don't have your iPad anymore," I told him, "but I did walk down here to bring it to you after you forgot it. What could you say to me?"

"Thank you for my iPad," he said.

Heidi smiled and held it out.

"You're welcome," I said. "I thought you would probably really want to have it this afternoon."

He took the iPad from Heidi. "Not really," he said.

I laughed and turned toward the door.

"We are working on it," Heidi said.

No comments:

Post a Comment