Saturday, May 26, 2018

Everybody's Got Something

Four hours after he arrived, the third technician scheduled to fix our washer confessed that he had not been successful. The ceiling was already beginning to drip as he mopped his brow, underarms drenched in sweat from taking the unit apart and putting it back together twice.

When he told me about the extra parts he had ordered-- They will arrive in 2-5 days, and then you can call and make another appointment to have the washer fixed-- I was annoyed and frustrated. That time line would make it three plus weeks since we had been able to do laundry. Still, I knew it wasn't his fault: the problem had been misdiagnosed by the first technician and the company had not sent him with a full-time helper.

We haggled over the additional price a bit, and when at last he was ready to go, I asked him if he had many other calls to make before the end of his day. "Yes," he sighed, "I have much more work to do, and... I'm fasting! It's a very long day."

"That's right, it's Ramadan," I replied sympathetically.

His face softened and his shoulders relaxed. "I wish I could have done more to fix your washer," he said.

"I hope your day improves," I told him, and we parted on cordial terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment