Thursday, April 19, 2018

Under the Influence

We were warned.

When Heidi decided to take the sedation for the extensive dental work she needed, both her parents told her tales of their wacky behavior while under the influence of those drugs. Her dad leaned out the window of the car making the sign of the cross in the air and mumbling blessings at all the other drivers until her mom rolled up the window and sharply reminded him that he was not a priest.

Her mother could not stop worrying about the piano. Was it safe? Would the movers be careful with it? Did it need tuning. "We don't have a piano," Heidi's dad said, but when that did not calm her mom's worrying he switched his story. "The piano's fine!" he told her. "All taken care of!"

Heidi was directed to take one pill an hour before her appointment and another 30 minutes later. "How do you feel?" I asked her as we headed out to the car.

"A little wobbly," she admitted. Five minutes later we were stopped at a light, and she was slumped in her seat, head lolling a bit. "That baby on the dog," she said, "it isn't a good idea"

"What baby?" I asked her.

"Back there," she told me. "They wanted the baby to ride the dog. I'm pretty sure I saw rope, too," she added seriously, "for extra security."

"I didn't see that," I told her.

The light changed and we continued on to the dentist. A few blocks later she said, "Whoa! We just ran over a ghost in the middle of the road."

"What!?" I cried.

"He was sitting in a school chair in the middle of the road. He looked right at me, and then pffft! We ran over him."

"Was he like Casper the ghost or like a person ghost?" I asked her.

"Person," she confirmed.

"How old was he?"

"Thirties?" she shrugged. "With red hair and a red sweater. He didn't look worried, but I was like, Do you really have to be in this lane? and then pshtttt, you ran through him."

I was laughing as we pulled up to the dentist office, and and still giggling as I helped her out of the car. Everyone in the waiting room looked up as 2 middle-aged ladies staggered in giggling. "I'm ready!" Heidi announced, and off she toddled to have her teeth fixed up.

1 comment:

  1. I had to check to see how it went. Glad to hear that it may have lived up to expectations! Hope the recovery continues ok!

    ReplyDelete