Thursday, February 22, 2018

Pleasantly Surprised

"How long has it been since you've had a filling?" the dental assistant asked.

"It's been ages," I told her, "I really can't remember."

I was there not because I had a cavity, but because some of my old metal fillings were ready to be replaced. On the walk from school I had made peace with the unavoidable sharp sting of the novocaine needle, and I was actually very relaxed in my reclining dental chair.

"This tastes terrible," she said, placing a cotton swab against the inside of my cheek, "but it's pretty good numbing. You'll feel pressure but no sharpness."

She was half right. The stuff didn't taste too bad at all, but from that point on, the procedure was painless. Thirty minutes later I was out on the street and headed back to school, two brand new composite fillings in place. The left side of my nose felt a little weird, but, as promised, it wore off within a couple hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment