Friday, February 9, 2018

Next Generation

Years ago I used to have my students do a word ladder every Monday. It was a fun way for them to exercise vocabulary, spelling, and logical thinking skills while I was conferring with them one by one about their independent reading. As the curriculum changed, eventually I phased that activity out in favor of other tasks that allowed them to connect their reading to their writing, and I hadn't thought about those puzzles in years when the other day one of the students in my intervention class asked me if I had any word ladders for the Greek and Latin word parts we were studying.

"I don't," I answered, "but I'm not sure how that would work."

"I love word ladders!" she told me. "My fifth grade teacher used to give them to us all the time.

"Funny!" I said. "Who was your teacher?"

"Ms. D." she replied.

"Ms. Katie D?" I clarified.

"Yes!" she confirmed.

"Well," I laughed, "she used to love doing them, too, when she was in sixth grade. In fact, I think she used to sit right where you are sitting now."

"Wait. What?" Her jaw dropped. "Ms. D. was in your class?"

"I know, right?" I agreed. "I can hardly believe it myself!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment